News Call of Duty 23 May 2026, 21:152 min read

Call of Duty streamer temporarily banned after using accessibility controller

Call of Duty streamer temporarily banned after using accessibility controller

Intelligence Summary

  • A paralyzed Call of Duty streamer is briefly banned after RICOCHET flags his accessibility controller.

Call of Duty streamer temporarily banned after using accessibility controller

A paralyzed Call of Duty streamer was temporarily banned during online matches after Activision's RICOCHET anti-cheat system flagged his accessibility controller as a third-party input modifier. The streamer, known as WheeledGamer, built the controller to play Call of Duty: Warzone, since he cannot use a standard controller to access the game. Using the QuadStick, an adaptive mouth controller, he can play through mouth movements such as sipping and puffing.

RICOCHET anti-cheat system

In recent years, Activision has made improvements to its RICOCHET anti-cheat system to detect and combat cheating in online matches. Following the launch of Call of Duty: Warzone season five in August 2025, additional requirements were introduced for PC players. Players must now enable TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot in their BIOS to use RICOCHET. TPM 2.0 is a system requirement on Windows 11 PCs, and users with a modern motherboard should have it enabled by default.

WheeledGamer's situation

On May 22, 2026, WheeledGamer received a notice that a "third-party input modification device" had been detected, resulting in a temporary ban on his account. The streamer took to social media to draw attention to the situation and tagged Activision and other Call of Duty developers in his posts. Fortunately, his appeal got the attention of the Call of Duty support team, which led to the ban being lifted. Call of Duty support said it would contact him directly to investigate which part of the QuadStick may have triggered the RICOCHET warning.

Impact on accessibility in gaming

The incident has raised broader questions about the effectiveness of anti-cheat systems and the impact they have on gamers with disabilities. WheeledGamer said his QuadStick controller is adaptive gaming hardware that does not provide an unfair advantage, and the incident highlights the challenge of balancing cheating prevention with accessibility support. Other developers, such as Embark Studios, have also faced criticism after similar incidents in which players using accessibility controllers were banned from their games, such as ARC Raiders.

Timeline

  • August 2025: Activision launches Call of Duty: Warzone season five, with new RICOCHET requirements.

  • May 22, 2026: WheeledGamer receives a temporary ban after RICOCHET detects his QuadStick.

  • Current: WheeledGamer's ban has been lifted after contact with Call of Duty support.

It remains unclear what steps Activision will take to prevent similar situations in the future, especially with Infinity Ward developing the next Call of Duty title. It remains to be seen how they will continue to integrate accessibility into their anti-cheat measures to ensure that gamers with special needs do not face unfair disruption.

Game deals

Tags

More gaming news

All news

Comments

0 comments